Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesday morning ride

Today I rode from Georgetown (ele. 8519) to Bakerville (ele. 9787). You actually descend for about 1/4 mile into Bakerville, so I'm calling it a little over 9800 feet for peak elevation. It's all uphill along the I-70 corridor. 6.5 miles of non-stop climbing. It took me about 42 minutes to get up there. Fortunately, I had a little tailwind going up, because it was hard enough as it is. There's one section where it has to be 10-12% for a mile or so. Brutal. I was in a 34x25 going about 8 mph. Coming down, I hit 44 mph peak speed and was over 40 mph for about 2 minutes. It only took me about 12 minutes to come back down. Finished it off with a little flat riding along the Georgetown lake, for a little over an hour long ride.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the mtb out and riding the Argentine grade in Silverplume (ele. 9100 ft.) up to the abandoned mining town of Waldorf (at treeline, approx. 11,300 ft). Then I'll come back down the Guanella pass side back to the house. I'll try to snap some photos of that ride. I've done this one before, it's not as gnarly as the one I did last week!

3 comments:

Greg said...

Man soouds Brutal, but the reward is going down, (real fast). Sounds like you are having a great time out there.

rg said...

I can only think at how this will make you SUPERfly Strong. You are going to dominate @ TRANQ aren't you!??

crewcabrob said...

Silverplum and Geogetown are nice little towns. I take it you have rode the train before? The only thing I don't like about the area is the exhaust and the constant sound from I70.

I love to be up there, but I can't imagine riding at elevation. I struggle to ride at 1200'...I'm a sissy. :(