Sunday, July 13, 2008

S is for SWANSON & Sunday!

The start time was a 'little in question'. Although I will defend my self and tell those that didn't read the sunday post below to read it again.

Sunday was full of flats, stumps, blood, fun, friends, flats and NO guitar heros! It starts like this. I filled my tires to 40psi prior to loading my bike into the rack. All was fine until I showed up @ 1:05 p.m. and went to take my bike off the rack and had a rear flat.

No sweat, I had a spare tube in my saddle bag. Got the tire out and the Sausage King manhandled the rubber (no levers needed)! He also had a Floor Pump in his ride. Talk about a guy that you want to go and ride with (albeit the valve on the pump was shot - but it was waaaay better than my hand pump from my bag!). Anyway, we put some air in my 'BRAND NEW' spare (ok I was carrying it around in my bag for a month or two) only to find out that it had a whole in it. CRAP.

I procedded to ask if anyone had an extra tube. No fear, the KING had one and promptly dug it out of his bag. Guess what, yep, it would not hold air either. It had a whole in just about the same place. Luckily Howie had a patch kit. I took two patches (Thanks HOWIE) and repaired both tubes. That way I'd have a spare again if needed. Ok, tire fixed, holding air - We're off!

All was good for me until the "ravine" Crewcabrob knows this spot from the first time he rode it. I proceeded to take the wrong line with ends in a stump. Somehow I cut my right thigh in the fall - it must have caught a zip tie ?? We finished the lap and heading for a second.

It was a fun lap. After the second lap we all headed home. My last flat came as I was unloading my bike in the garage. It either: a. is leaking from the patch; b. the rubber has a thorn that no one could feel, c. Bad Karma to ray today?

Riders present: Sausage King, dmars, Howie, RG.
Riders not present: The guitar heros? ( I did tell the KING that they could take off when I saw that I had a flat. Maybe they took that as a que? I'm glad that the king and my boys decided to stick around, otherwise I would have still been sitting there until someone came back to patch me up!)

Good times, thanks guys - Sorry no photos - you should've been with us!

5 comments:

crewcabrob said...

Which ravine? the steep one i did the endo in and they had roped off during the race or the one I got all the blood loss from? I've crashed in both... not so good considering I have only been to Swanson twice.

I hated to miss the ride. I needed some time on dirt, and I got none this weekend. Infact, the bike spent it's time locked up in the garage. :(

Nice report guys. I take it none of you are doing the State Games this weekend? I'll be there with a lot of the Lincoln crew. Rain is in the forcast...imagine that?

Greg said...

Sounds like you guys still had a good ride. Wish I could have made it.

dmars said...

The one we bypassed during the race rob. Not the tree you bludgeoned with your shoulder, poor tree:) surprisingly I kept up with those guys pretty good, or maybe they were taking it easy on this poor single speeder. When are you going to come out west for a team gibson group ride/barbeque Rob?

crewcabrob said...

We need to get some riding in. This crazy weather may rain out the rest of the season at this point.

BBQ? Yeah I would love to BBQ with Team Gibson sometime. Maybe when the Gibson Bro's are at Platte we can run over for a nice after noon of food, BEER, riding and BEER.

Wish me luck in the mud-bath this weekend!

rg said...

Good luck Rob!