Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How about a chance for us all to ride together for one day in June?


I got a call this weekend from a friend - Howie (some of you guys know him). He told me his plan and wanted to know if I and you guys were in for it.

He told me that he was speaking with his father-in-law who lives in Red Oak. His father-in-law pointed out that Red Oak was the first stop town for RAGBRI this year. After further investigation - he saw that it starts in Council Bluffs.

His plan?
Ride the first day of RAGBRI from Council Bluffs to Red Oak. We could have our wifes (who are from Red Oak) drive down and pick us up and haul our bikes back to Omaha. (I can carry at least 4 bikes!) We would ride "unregistered"/free" and SAG ourselves (you've got a back pack don't ya!!!?)

Whatcha think? 60 miles of highway with a couple of buddies and thousands of other people for one day this summer? It may be a few years from now before it starts from our backdoor -
Council Bluffs has hosted RAGBRAI four previous times, in 1974, 1986, 1994 and 2000.


We would ride on Sunday July 18th.

4 comments:

Greg said...

I might be interested. I want to see how the Tour De cure go first.

dmars said...

hmmm sounds fun, how long would it take? I dont have a road bike, so I am not sure if I am in or not.

by the way, Lewis and clark ride tomorrow, 9 am, if anyone can join see ya there.

Sausage King said...

Sounds like fun. I would definitely be down as long as the wife is cool with it (and if she's not working that weekend).

I'll have to see when we get a little closer to the date.

rg said...

dmars. 53 miles.. so if we rode 10 miles/hr it would take ~ 5 hrs.

Ted has ridden on RAGBRI before, maybe he can comment on how long it would take to go 52. I do know that there are all kinds of bikes out there DMARS, so you MTB would fit right in!

It sounds as if I'm 80% in. We all can draft off of the SAUSAGE KING and have him PULL us to Red OAK!