Thursday, December 11, 2008

Broken Heart Rate Monitor?

Does anyone know how to tell if your HRM is on the blink? I think that mine is as it has given me what I think is LOW numbers in Calorie Burn the last two times that I've used it. Check the Trainer Log to see what I mean....

Riders riding similar times and distances should be close in Calorie Burn - wouldn't you think?

I rode for 33 minutes last night, 9.25 miles and my HRM said I only burned 202 calories and that my Avg Hearrate was 105. I looked down at my wrist in the beginning 5 minutes and it was only counting 58 bpm - damn that's close to a resting heart rate.

I tightened the straps last night when I took it off. I'm going to ride at the same intensity level tonight for the same time period and see what happens. Maybe the batteries are dieing?

3 comments:

Sausage King said...

HRM's work best when the electrodes (on the chest strap) are wet. Usually, this happens from sweat, but it can take a few minutes depending on how hard you're riding and how warm/cold it is. Try wetting down the electrodes in the sink before you put it on, that way there's already good conductivity between the electrodes and your body. That should help with the early ride low numbers.

I don't know why your numbers are so low, maybe those first 5 minutes or so are skewing the avg. because they are so low?

rg said...

I do get them wet with spit before starting... I'll try the sink tonight, Thanks!

Greg said...

Maybe the battery is getting week in the transmitter. The battery symbol on my reciever has been flickering latley. Maybe it's time for some new batteries.