Monday, June 1, 2009

Tour de Cure


Greg picked me up @ 7:15 a.m. and we headed down to Springfield to meet up with all of the other folks who raised at least $150 to ride in this year's Tour de Cure.  We got there in plenty of time and got "signed in" and ready for our 50 mile adventure.

I got the jerseys and glasses donated from one of our watch vendors.  We were syling thats for sure!

We left the fairground about 5 minutes before the offical start of the event.  I think it was on mile 10 or so when the South wind (10 - 20 ) mph started blowing.  We rode into it for the better part of 15 miles.  At one point I took a picture of my computer showing 9mph.  That's how fast we were going into the wind at times.  On the contratry, that same stretch of road on the return trip had us going 19 mph - soft pedaling!

I only recorded 2 hours on my HRM.  Said I burned 1250 calories.  I think it took us all of 3.5+ hours to get the 50 in.  We did stop 4 or 5 times to refill water, pee, etc.  

I hate to say it, but I liked it!  I like the group aspect of all riding toward a goal - in this case it was to finish.  I was happy that the ride wasn't 65 miles, as my butt and legs were not up for it.


Day one of Ragbrai anyone?

2 comments:

Greg said...

Ya, had a great time. Legs started to get tired and cramp up at mile 45. The last 5 miles seemed like it took forever, but I settled in and finished with a smile. I am looking forward to doing it again. First stage of ragbrai would be fun to do.

dmars said...

good showing guys, sounded fun, snazzy jerseys and glasses.