Sunday, July 26, 2009

First Colorado ride


I went for my first Colorado road ride this year. It was a 27 mile round-trip ride from the home base in Georgetown to Berthoud Falls, which is at the base of Berthoud Pass (going from I-70 to Winter Park). I left Georgetown (Elev. 8540) and rode down to the highway 40 junction (about elev. 8000). It rained on me a bit so I had to put on the rain jacket. Hit hwy 40, no more rain - so I took off the rain jacket and started the 7 mile or so climb up through Empire to Berthoud Falls. I was doing about 9 mph on the steeper sections and when I got up to Berthoud Falls (Elev. 9793) I had an average speed of 13.1 mph. It rained on me once more when I was about 2 miles outside of Bertoud Falls so on with the rain jacket again.
It stopped raining shortly afterwards, but I just left the rain jacket on because I figured I would need it on the way down (and it looked like it could rain again at any minute). I Made it to Berthoud Falls and snapped a couple pics then started heading back down to I-70 in what Phil Ligget would describe as a block headwind. I made it down no problem and hit about 40 mph for my max speed, which isn't bad considering it was into a headwind. Started riding back up to Georgetown from the I-70/hwy 40 split.
The county of Clear Creek, in it's infinite wisdom, took a 3 mile or so stretch of paved road (albeit in rough condition) and has turned it into a dirt road (which is in worse condition than the paved road was), hopefully to be re-paved sometime in the near future. It had rained pretty hard down on that road while I was riding my ride, so I got to ride back on a nice muddy road. Now my bike is in serious need of some maintenance as it has a healthy coating mud and sand...
more to come later this week

2 comments:

rg said...

thanks for the ride report king. Keep them coming!

The fastest I've been on my bike it 35 mph, and that was on the TDC. 40 would be fun, even into a head wind!

dmars said...

sounds like fun king. I had my mtb going 38 mph on a country road coming back from ft calhoun.